Weed candy is a type of edible cannabis product that has been growing in popularity in recent years. As the legalization of cannabis has expanded in many parts of the world, the market for cannabis-infused products has also increased.
Weed candy typically contains THC, the psychoactive compound found in marijuana, which can produce a range of effects when ingested. However, it’s important to note that the potency of weed candy can vary widely and consuming too much can lead to unwanted side effects.
In this article, we will explore the world of weed candy, including what it is, how it’s made, and what to consider before trying it.
What is Weed?
Weed, also known as marijuana, is a plant that contains chemical compounds called cannabinoids. The most well-known cannabinoid is delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is responsible for the plant’s psychoactive effects. When consumed, either through smoking or ingesting, weed can produce a range of effects on the mind and body, including relaxation, euphoria, altered perception of time, and increased appetite.
Weed has been used for both medicinal and recreational purposes for centuries, and in recent years, many countries and states have legalized its use in some form. However, it’s important to note that weed can have side effects, and consuming too much can lead to unwanted effects such as paranoia, anxiety, and impaired coordination.
What is Cannabis Candy?
Cannabis candy, also known as weed candy or marijuana candy, is a type of weed edible product that is infused with cannabinoids, typically THC or CBD. Cannabis candy comes in various forms, including potent THC cannabis gummies, chocolate, hard candy, lollipops, and more.
Like other cannabis edibles, the effects of cannabis candy can take longer to kick in than smoking or vaping, and the high can last for several hours. The potency of cannabis candy can vary widely depending on the dosage and the type of candy, so it’s important to start with a small amount and wait for the effects before consuming more.
It’s also crucial to keep cannabis candy out of the reach of children and pets, as they can mistake it for regular candy and accidentally consume it.
How Does Marijuana Candy Work?
Marijuana candy, like other cannabis edibles, works by delivering cannabinoids such as THC or CBD into the body through the digestive system. When you consume marijuana candy, the cannabinoids are absorbed into your bloodstream through the walls of your stomach and intestines. From there, they are transported to your liver, where they are metabolized and broken down into a more potent form that can cross the blood-brain barrier.
Once the cannabinoids cross the blood-brain barrier, they can bind to receptors in the brain and other parts of the body, producing a range of effects. THC, for example, binds to cannabinoid receptors in the brain and can produce a feeling of euphoria, altered perception of time, and increased appetite. The effects of marijuana candy can take longer to onset than smoking or vaping cannabis, typically between 30 minutes to 2 hours after consumption, and can last for several hours.
It’s important to note that the potency of marijuana candy can vary widely, and the effects can be unpredictable, so it’s essential to start with a small amount and wait for the effects before consuming more. Additionally, it’s crucial to keep marijuana candy out of the reach of children and pets, as they can mistake it for regular candy and accidentally consume it, leading to potentially harmful effects.
Benefits of Weed Candy
Weed candy, like other cannabis edibles, can offer a range of potential benefits for those who use it.
Some of the potential benefits of weed candy include:
- Pain relief: THC and CBD, the two primary cannabinoids found in marijuana, have been shown to have pain-relieving properties. For people with chronic pain conditions, weed candy may offer a discreet and convenient way to manage their symptoms.
- Anxiety and depression relief: Some studies have suggested that THC and CBD may have anxiolytic and antidepressant effects, making weed candy a potential option for those with anxiety or depression.
- Improved sleep: THC has been shown to have sedative effects, which may make it useful for people who struggle with insomnia or other sleep disorders.
- Convenience: Weed candy can be a discreet and convenient way to consume cannabis, especially for people who don’t want to smoke or vape.
- Long-lasting effects: Compared to smoking or vaping cannabis, the effects of weed candy can last for several hours, making it a useful option for people who need longer-lasting relief.
It’s important to note that the benefits of weed candy may vary depending on the individual and the specific product they use. Additionally, consuming too much weed candy can lead to unwanted side effects, so it’s important to start with a small amount and wait for the effects before consuming more.
Dangers of Weed Candy
While weed candy can offer potential benefits for some users, it’s also important to be aware of the potential dangers and side effects that can come with its use.
Some of the dangers of weed candy include:
- Overconsumption: Because the effects of weed candy can take longer to onset than smoking or vaping cannabis, it can be easy to consume too much before feeling the effects. Consuming too much weed candy can lead to unwanted side effects such as anxiety, paranoia, and impaired coordination.
- Inconsistent potency: The potency of weed candy can vary widely depending on the dosage and the type of candy. This can make it difficult to control the dosage and can lead to unpredictable effects.
- Accidental ingestion: Marijuana candy can look and taste like regular candy, making it easy for children and pets to accidentally consume it. This can lead to potentially harmful effects.
- Interactions with other drugs: Marijuana can interact with other drugs, including prescription medications, in potentially harmful ways. It’s important to talk to a healthcare provider before using weed candy if you are taking other medications.
- Illegal in some areas: Despite being legal in some areas, marijuana is still illegal in many parts of the world. Possessing or consuming weed candy in these areas can lead to legal consequences.
Overall, it’s important to be informed about the potential risks and side effects of weed candy and to use it responsibly. It’s crucial to start with a small amount and wait for the effects before consuming more, and to keep marijuana candy out of the reach of children and pets.
Where to Buy Weed Candy in Canada?
In Canada, weed candy can be purchased from licensed cannabis retailers or online cannabis stores like WeedSmart. Some provinces, such as Ontario and Quebec, have government-run cannabis retailers, while other provinces may have private retailers. You can also save when you buy bulk edibles.
To buy weed candy from a licensed retailer, you will need to be at least 19 years old and have a valid government-issued ID. You may also need to have a medical marijuana prescription, depending on the retailer and the province.
If you prefer to buy weed candy online, there are a variety of online cannabis stores that offer a range of products, including edibles. Again, you will need to be at least 19 years old and have a valid government-issued ID to purchase from these stores.
It’s important to note that buying weed candy from unlicensed sources, such as street dealers or unregulated online stores, can be dangerous and may lead to receiving counterfeit or contaminated products. To ensure that you are getting safe and legal weed candy, it’s recommended to purchase from licensed and regulated sources.
Government of Canada. (2022). Cannabis Regulations. Available at: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2018-144/FullText.html
Bulk Weed. (2023, May 2). Buy Bulk Weed Edibles Online in Canada. Available at: https://bulkweed.co/product-category/cannabis-edibles/
WebMB. (2020). CBD vs. THC: What’s the Difference? Available at: https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/cbd-thc-difference#1
Daily Marijuana. (2023, May 2). Buy Weed Gummies Online in Canada. Available at: https://dailymarijuana.io/shop/edibles-canada/thc-gummies/
Kubala, J. (2019, June 7). Can You Eat Weed? All You Need to Know About Marijuana Edibles. Healthline. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/eating-weed